How to Convert Distribution Cert to .p12
During the submission and resubmission process, you may be asked to provide your Distribution Cert in .p12 format. This is quite common, especially when the iOS Developer account currently has or previously has had non Emergent Mobile Apps.
When Distribution Certs are created, they must be signed using a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) Key. When the Cert is downloaded on a computer which does not have this CSR Key, the Distribution Cert cannot be used to build/rebuild your iOS App until that computer contains the CSR Key used to sign that Distribution Cert. When the Distribution Cert is sent in .p12 format, the CSR Key is contained within that file allowing the Cert to be used by Emergent Mobile’s App Submission Team to build/rebuild and submit your App to iTunes.
1. Login to the iOS Developer Center (https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action) using your iOS Developer Account. You must have an iOS Developer Account in order to continue.
2. Select Certificates, Identifiers, & Profiles
3. Select Certificates under iOS Apps
4. Select Distribution along the left side. Then select and download the iOS Distribution Certificate (sort the list by Type if you have many certificates under your iOS Developer Account).
5. Once the Distribution Cert is downloaded, open Finder and navigate to the location where it was saved and double click the file to open in your Apple Keychain.
6. Expand the iOS Distribution Certificate in your Keychain by clicking the Arrow next to the Distribution Cert name, this displays the key used to sign the certificate.
7. Right click on the Distirubtion Certificate and key, then select Export 2 Items. This will ensure the key used to sign the certificate is attached to the certificate and useable by whoever you send the certificate to.
8. Select a location, name your .p12 file and select Save. You can now share this certificate with anyone who needs the certificate for development.
Due to the complex nature of creating and managing Distribution Certs, Emergent Mobile is unable to provide assistance at this time for non Mac users who are not already familiar with this process on their current operating system.
Allowing Emergent Mobile to Recreate Your Dist Cert
It is possible for Emergent Mobile to revoke and recreate the Distribution Cert inside of your iOS Developer Account. When the Distribution Cert is signed on the Clients end, however, Emergent Mobile will attempt to contact the client to obtain the .p12 file and will not revoke/recreate the Cert until authorization to perform these actions are received. Once the Distribution Cert is revoked and recreated, Emergent Mobile will send you the Distribution Cert in .p12 format which can then be used to submit/resubmit any current or future Apps in your iOS Developer Account.